Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Ides

Today an internet friend alluded to the significance today's date.

We all know the tale. On this day in 44 BC, Julius Caesar was stabbed to death by a group of conspirators - one of whom was his closest friend.



Then the question that hit home: Have you ever been betrayed by someone you trusted?

Preamble: this blog isn't my personal diary. It's merely an embarrassing attempt to use my own cynical brand of narcissistic self-deprecating humour to enlighten the masses about the fact that being a woman sucks sometimes.














But full disclosure: sadly, the whole impetus behind this blog exercise was a former friend of mine. A best friend, as he were. We grew very close in a very short period of time, and it ended just as abruptly, and quite horrifically. His exhaustive laundry list of lies and deceit eventually caught up with him, and just like that, it was over.

The worst of his literal mountain of lies (turns out he has a severe mental illness and lied chronically in order to manipulate) was a fake diagnosis of advanced-level cancer. You can imagine how devastating this news was. For months, we were all played like fiddles. Cancer was his ray gun. It deflected everything. He was untouchable.

I've been struggling with his betrayal for months. I keep it together 90% of the time, but in reality, it's permeated my entire life. Short of erasing every trace of his existence from my memory, I'm not sure how to get over it. This is my first real betrayal. I suppose in a way I'm lucky just as I suppose it probably won't be my last one, either. It still stings.

As evidenced by this silly blog, when I don't know what else to do, I write. Shortly after I was informed of his "diagnosis", I wrote a blog and dedicated to him, posting it here. Once the truth came out, it was removed.

Here it is, again.

Happy Ides, everybody. I wish you all a betrayal-free day.

And if you're reading this - I am on my way to being in the best shape I've ever been.

How about you?

1 comment: